Raw Mush Delight
This recipe is taken from NY TIMES Recipes for Health.
1 pound albacore or yellowfin tuna, cut in 1/2 inch dice
1/2 small red onion, cut in small dice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles, to taste, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
1 ripe medium avocado, cut in small dice
Salt, preferably kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro to taste
Leaf lettuce, baby spinach or arugula, or radicchio leaves for serving
1. Prepare the tuna and refrigerate while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
2. Place the onion in a small bowl, and cover with cold water. Let sit five minutes, then drain, rinse and dry on paper towels.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the onion, garlic, chile, capers, avocado, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Toss together gently. Add the tuna to the bowl.
4. Stir together the remaining lime juice and the olive oil. Pour over the tuna, and toss the mixture together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes, stirring gently from time to time.
5. Just before serving, add the cilantro and toss together. Taste and adjust seasonings. Line plates with salad greens, spoon the ceviche on top, and serve.
Omit the chile peppers. Substitute chopped fresh dill for the cilantro.